The Lagos State Government has intensified the removal of shanties, illegal structures and other environmental nuisances along the Lagos-Badagry Expressway as part of measures to address current environmental challenges and restore order along the busy transport corridor.
The Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab, disclosed this in a post on his X handle on Monday, saying the enforcement exercise had been ongoing for the past three weeks.
According to Wahab, the operation is aimed at removing illegal structures and activities that obstruct public spaces and contribute to environmental degradation. He said the exercise would be followed by sustained surveillance and continuous monitoring to prevent a recurrence of environmental infractions.
“Over the past three weeks, our enforcement team has intensified the clearance of shanties, illegal structures and other environmental nuisances along the Lagos-Badagry Expressway. This exercise will be followed by sustained surveillance and continuous monitoring to ensure that environmental order is restored and maintained along the corridor,” he said.
The commissioner urged residents and traders to desist from converting public spaces into illegal markets or using them for unauthorized private activities, stressing that compliance was necessary to preserve the environment and maintain public order.
He warned that anyone found encroaching on public spaces or engaging in unlawful activities would be arrested and prosecuted in accordance with Lagos State laws.
The Lagos-Badagry Expressway, one of the state’s major transport routes linking Lagos with Badagry and neighbouring communities, has remained a key focus of the government’s environmental enforcement efforts as authorities seek to improve sanitation, ease traffic movement and safeguard public infrastructure.
